The Story of Bruce R. McConkie (2023)

The Story of Bruce R. McConkie (1)

Por Joseph Fielding McConkie

Few of those who heard Bruce R. McConkie's last lecture, followed just days after his death, will forget it. For many, it was one of the most moving experiences of their lives.

This is the second of two excerpts from Joseph Fielding McConkie's new biography of his father,The Bruce R. McConkie Story: Reflections of a SonPublished by Deseret Book. Read Part 1here.

bristly hair . . and innocent tongue. . Voice full of tears, emotion squeezed. . . Strong shape and gentle features. . . incisive speech. . . steel trap mind

-William Kent Wadsworth

AAbout a year before Dad started having health problems, he felt inspired to move with his mother from the family home on Dorchester Drive to a condominium near the church offices. In late 1983, he began to experience some stomach pains. The matter was not considered particularly serious, although at times he appeared more tired than he should have been and had a rather listless appetite. Doctors did about a dozen tests for ulcers, cancer, etc. All tests came back negative. A spot was noticed on his liver so the doctors recommended surgery in case something was wrong. Elders James E. Faust and Neal A. Maxwell gave him a blessing, and the surgery was performed on January 20, 1984. To our surprise and great disappointment, the doctors found cancer in Dad's system to such an extent that he simply could not there was nothing he could do. could do for him.

Doctors stitched him up so he could go home and die in peace. They told the family he only had "months" to live, meaning, as we later learned, they really thought he had "two weeks or two months" to live. Tears were shed, expressions of faith were made, and the Smith and McConkie families, including uncles, aunts, and cousins, joined in fasting and prayer. Together, their resolution was to walk in all “the blameless laws of the Lord” and call down the blessings of heaven (Luke 1:6).

click to enlarge

Elder McConkie sustains Elder Gordon B. Hinckley.

In typical Bruce McConkie style, he did his best to keep the matter out of public view. However, all efforts in this direction were unsuccessful. Rumors spread with a speed rivaling that of light itself. Hoping to stem the tide of rumours, Oscar announced the matter to the press. Don LeFevre, as a church spokesman, confirmed the report without adding anything further. The seriousness of the situation was minimized by the press, but no one who knew about this type of cancer was fooled.

President Gordon B. Hinckley visited Dad and, at his request, gave him a blessing. Elder Boyd K. Packer called Mom and asked if he could visit and give Dad a blessing. Of course, she answered in the affirmative. He arrived, saying that he had struggled with the matter for two days and was fighting like crazy: "Bruce shouldn't be taken." He gave Dad a blessing and told him that they were working on both sides of the veil to keep him here. Brit was also brought in to manage it. He repeated Elder Packer's words and made the same promises, although he did not know that the previous blessing had been given. Thousands of faithful Saints throughout the Church added their prayers with great effect. Dad was scheduled to go home from the hospital two weeks after the operation. He went home after a week. Doctors called it "a small miracle".

While at the hospital, Sister Hulda Parker Young, who was the hospital's Relief Society president, told Dad about a patient who had been paralyzed for years. She was a young mother who almost gave in to despair. She had asked Sister Young, "Could you ask one of the General Authorities who come to bless Elder McConkie to minister to me?" Dad said he would take care of it. She got out of bed and said, "Come on Mom." Together they went down to this woman's room, and he gave her a blessing. She walks now.

He left the hospital on January 27th and started chemotherapy about two weeks later. In a letter to the family written on Feb. 20, the mother noted that "Dad went through the first round of chemotherapy with relative ease, mild nausea and exhaustion, but no violent reactions." Despite her tolerance of chemotherapy, her battle for life was accompanied by "indescribable pain".

While in the hospital, he commented to Elder Packer that the early Apostles had suffered a lot and that perhaps this was the equivalent suffering for the Twelve today. “Suffering sanctifies,” Dad said. He believed that his affliction was a test and was determined to enjoy himself. In a written but undelivered general conference address in April 1979, he said: “Life was never meant to be easy. We're here on parole. We need the experiences of mortality, experiences that could be obtained in no other way. He then suggested that each of us must face our own Gethsemane. We will all be “tried and tested to the fullest extent of our power of endurance,” he wrote.

Over the course of a few months, another scan of her liver was done, which showed that there were no new spots of cancer and that the old ones were shrinking. His doctor told him that this was medically impossible. A few days later, her doctor, who is not a member of the Church, visited her office to explain, “I don't think you understand. What happened is not medically possible." Dr. Russell M. Nelson confirmed this. "Nobody recovers when the cancer spreads like in the liver."

Dad stood up in the April conference to say, “I am so overwhelmed with deep feelings of gratitude and rejoicing for the Lord's goodness to me.

“He allowed me to feel pain, feel anxiety and taste his healing power.

I am deeply grateful for the faith and prayers of many people, for the sincere petitions that have ascended the throne of grace on my behalf.

“It is pleasing to God who we are when we fast and pray and seek his blessings; when we plead with all the energy of our soul for those things we so desire; when, as Paul says, we come with confidence to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need” (Hebrews 4:16).1

For a while, Dad continued to improve. By the end of August he was able to run five miles, but by early September he lost strength again and the original symptoms returned. He was completely exhausted when he got back from the office at night. Tests showed that the cancer had returned in full force. At about this time, he asked the Missionary Executive Committee members, Elders Packer, Faust, and Dallin H. Oaks, to give him a blessing. Elder Packer was the voice and gave a powerful and positive blessing. He indicated that people on both sides of the veil were working for his recovery, especially President Joseph Fielding Smith. A second miracle occurred and again his life was prolonged.

click to enlarge

Bruce and Amelia McConkie with Joseph Fielding and Jessie Evans Smith in Australia.

During this period of relief, he was able to accomplish several things of particular importance to him, including three speeches now considered classics by Latter-day Saint religious educators. The first of these, given June 3, 1984, dealt with missionary work, conversion, and the place of the Book of Mormon. It was given to Brigham Young University professors who were being trained to assist Religion faculty members with Book of Mormon classes. In these comments, he showed how in our missionary efforts we make the job difficult by trying to find common ground with people of other faiths. The attempt to show that we share a common faith, that we are Christians like them, has left those we teach with no reason to hear the message of the Restoration. We exist as a faith because of our differences from historic Christianity, and only in those differences is the reason for conversion and the kind of faith needed to be a Latter-day Saint, he said.

In August of that year, he spoke by assignment to Church Educational System staff. His speech title was "The Bible, a Sealed Book", which identified the two seals which contain the significance of this sacred record for the understanding of men. He identified the first as "the seal of ignorance" and the second as "the seal of intelligentsia". He showed how the true meaning of the book could only be discovered by the spirit of revelation.2

On Saturday, November 3, 1984, he delivered another historic address entitled "The Doctrinal Restoration" at a symposium sponsored by the Center for Religious Studies at Brigham Young University. In his opening remarks, he charged all who were commissioned to teach the gospel to be faithful to the revelations of the Restoration. Regarding the Joseph Smith Translation, he said: “Forgive me if I say that negative attitudes and feelings about the Joseph Smith Translation are simply part of the devil's program to hide the word of truth from the children of men.

“Of course, the revealed changes made by Joseph Smith are as true as anything in the Book of Mormon or the Doctrine and Covenants.

“Of course we have adequate and authentic original sources that show the changes as much as the Book of Mormon sources or the revelations.

“Of course we should use the Joseph Smith Translation in our study and teaching. Since when does any of us have the right to set limits on the Almighty and say that we will believe these revelations but not those?”3

I attended that symposium and was scheduled to speak right after Dad, perhaps so he could stay and listen to my presentation. I was really looking forward to this event because it would be one of the few times we would share the same platform. However, shortly after his lecture, he indicated to me that he did not have the strength to stay. Like everyone else present, she had no idea how difficult that performance had been for him.

Another goal she was able to accomplish during her second respite from the ravages of cancer was planning a family trip. On August 28, 1984, her father wrote to each of his children and their spouses to invite them to join him and their mother on a visit to the Holy Land. Since Brenda and I both had experience leading these types of tours, she asked us to make the arrangements. Among other things, a schedule of family study classes was developed. It was expected that all who could attend would take turns instructing the group in our family home evenings. When it was Dad's turn, as a kind of gauge of his interest, he would create typewritten sketches of twenty to thirty pages.

fighting the good fight

Meanwhile, Dad's fight with cancer intensified. Elder John K. Carmack related events that occurred during a weekend assignment during this period when Elder McConkie and Elder David B. Haight were assigned to a twelve-stake conference in Santa Barbara, California. “We met to plan the conference in Elder Haight's office. I was the junior member of the team. Elder McConkie's only request was that we do what was best for the people of the twelve stakes. So we planned two four-hour leadership meetings on Saturday, one in Chatsworth and one in Santa Barbara, 100 miles away. On Sunday, we would have two-hour meetings on the campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara. We drove the 100 miles back to Los Angeles and got home around midnight. Elder Haight, ever solicitous of Elder McConkie, protested but relented to the Chief Apostle.

“I saw him that week in the General Authority mess hall. John, let's preach the gospel,” he said with obvious enthusiasm. He anticipated the opportunity to once again teach and exhort the Saints.

“On the Friday night before the conference, Shirley and I met with Bruce, Amelia McConkie and David Haight at the Burbank airport.

Elder McConkie was completely exhausted. He had just received his chemo shot. (By the way, Sister McConkie said that her doctor, who wasn't a member of the Church, didn't quite know how to handle Bruce. She said she'd come in on Friday for the shot, roll up her sleeves, and say, Seven more days. .life, Doc!')

“After meeting at the airport that night, Elder McConkie went straight to bed without dinner. Over dinner, Amelia shared with us her cooperative disdain for the illness that was obviously consuming him."

Regarding conference meetings, Elder Carmack recalled: “Many felt that he was never more powerful than he was in that conference, nor was there a better regional conference than Saturday and Sunday in Chatsworth and Santa Barbara. He was back where his father, Oscar McConkie, had presided with so much power. . . .

“Feeling some difficulties with the sound on Sunday, he took the microphone from the podium and held it close to his mouth. I didn't come here so that they wouldn't hear me, ”he announced. Everyone heard and everyone understood his message of salvation.

“We got back to Los Angeles and waited for our flight to Salt Lake City to arrive late. At the airport, many recognized him and Elder Haight and spoke with them. He couldn't travel anywhere in the world without being recognized. He and everyone else was tired when we got to Salt Lake City at midnight.

“On the Tuesday after that exhausting weekend, I saw him in the office. How are you feeling?” I asked him. He instantly leapt into the air, clicked his heels together and exclaimed, 'Great!'” It was the importance of what he was doing that gave him strength, concluded Elder Carmack. “Soon he would be united with his Saviour, but he must persevere to the end. This he did with courage and power beyond anything I have ever witnessed.”4

During that time, he also held conference roles and reorganized several stakes. In at least one case, his pain was such that he called a stake president while lying on the stake office floor.

Among the scribbled notes on my father's desk, I found part of an airline-printed envelope containing a plane ticket. It was dated January 27, 1985. On it Dad had written the following verse, obviously written while returning from a very difficult speaking assignment:

A Family Blessing and a Promise

In mid-February 1985, the family was informed that Dad's situation was getting worse again. Her chemotherapy treatments no longer seemed to be working, so they were stopped.

On Sunday, February 27th, the family gathered at the home of my sister Sara and her husband, Jerry Fenn, to seal our fast and torment heaven in Dad's name. Mom had invited us to do this without Dad's knowledge, afraid he wouldn't want us to make a fuss about him. The spirit of the meeting was positive. The mother indicated that the father had asked the children to come to her apartment and give her a blessing. When we were sitting in the apartment, he turned to me and asked me to take charge. I briefly told Dad what had happened and then told him that he was surrounded by men of faith who would be happy to give him a blessing if he wanted it. He said, "I'd like that," in a way that indicated he was serious. He asked me to be the voice in giving the blessing. As we gathered around him, I asked if he would like us to anoint him too. He responded in the affirmative and asked Stanford to perform this ordinance.

In the blessing, we told Dad that he was wrapped in the love of his family and that each of us who laid our hands on his head had received the priesthood or its saving ordinances at his hands and we now considered it an honor to lay our hands on him. head to bless him as he blessed us. We rebuked his bodily disease, telling him that as the Lord had told Joseph Smith that the limits of his enemies had been set, so the limits of this affliction had been set. We ordered the disease back within these limits. We also told him that, like Joseph Smith, his days were known and would be numbered no less. We told him that he would be asked to rest and recover, but that the Lord would give him that time back. We assured him that "he would still bear all testimony, teach all doctrine, and write all the words which he had been commanded to do beforehand in the councils of heaven." We seal upon her the blessing bestowed by our grandfather McConkie to that effect, and, I suppose, if not by word then certainly by implication, the blessing bestowed in the counsels of heaven. We then asked for a blessing beyond mortal capacity for the physicians who attended him.

A week later, before he went to the hospital, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles and President Hinckley also blessed Dad. He called me to tell me about the blessing and said that President Hinckley "sealed the blessing given to him by his family."

click to enlarge

Elder McConkie delivers his final conference address.

So dad went to the hospital for what was supposed to be ausand k room where the chemotherapy would be injected directly into the liver. He was told that this procedure had a 40% chance of working. The therapy worked and Dad was sent home from the hospital after the 9th day.

Everything that could be expected has been fulfilled. Even so, he was very weak and had a bad case of jaundice. The treatment also robbed him of his appetite.

Her doctors came to the apartment to check on her. Describing these events to the family, her mother wrote the following: “This morning the chemotherapy doctor came while I was here. She did her usual thorough and expert check on her dad and after all the tapping and pulsing and listening she said his liver was smaller than before and she couldn't detect any hint of fluid in the area." Both were positive signs, suggesting that the treatment was having the desired effect. Dad was also doing well, maintaining his weight.

To her report, the mother added: “Dr. Enter Maurice Taylor, an old friend and devoted follower of Father's. He is a fine gentleman and stake patriarch. After a little visit, he was leaving and then he turned around and asked daddy if he would like him to give daddy a blessing.” Dad indicated yes. A beautiful blessing followed, which Dad felt was the most positive he had ever received.

“It was interesting,” the mother continued, “hearing a blessing with a doctor talking to the Great Physician and using medical expressions like, you know, the cells are making ______, what's causing _____, and he needs to have 'this .' or that “are performed to get rid of this disease, etc.” He scolded the cells that were unruly and refused to act as they should and he blessed Dad to stop the terrible itching and other problems he was having. He also said that Dad was well liked in the Church and that his work was not done and that he would stay until he had done all that he had to do.”

Dad had a very pronounced case of jaundice, which we took as a good sign because it meant the treatment was working. Her bilirubin level had risen and the doctors attributed the itchiness to this. Pills can relieve itching, but with the side effect of drowsiness. I would only take them at night.

Around that time, I received a call to serve as a student stake president at Brigham Young University. It was one of the young married stakes and had 1,400 returned missionaries. When I told Dad about my calling and described the stake, I said, “What do you think Joseph Smith would have done if he had 1,400 returned missionaries to start the work of this dispensation with?” He replied, "I don't know, but in a few weeks I'll ask him."

On March 10, 1985, Dad went to the Motion Picture Studio in Provo to film his role in a short film featuring the new editions of the Scriptures. The experience took up most of the day and left him so exhausted that when it was over, he got into his car and fell asleep while his mother drove him home.

conference week

Some time before the April conference, probably the last Saturday in March, the mother reported: “Dad walked into the kitchen and said, Would you like to hear what I prepared for general conference? started to come down and I thought, maybe he wants some apple pie. He had the apples ready to put in and he was rolling out the dough, the oven was on, everything was ready, and he came in and sat down and he started reading his talk to me and the tears were running down his face and he said no more than a few sentences and I thought to myself, you don't make apple pies when someone says these things to you. Así que me saté, dejé todo y lo escuché. I asked, how are you going to be able to get up and read this?' Because he was there, he had to decide what he said because he was very moved. Y él dijo, no sé, pero lo voy a faz'".

click to enlarge

Chief Executive Ezra Taft Benson shakes hands with Elder McConkie in his final conference. Elder Boyd K. Packer lovingly holds his right arm. Elder Marvin J. Ashton assists.

On Monday, April 1, Brit gave her dad a blessing. He said he still had work to do, that the devil had been rebuked, and he blessed him that he had the strength to finish the lecture. Elder Packer came on Tuesday and blessed him and again affirmed that he had more to do.

On the night of Tuesday, April 2nd, Mom called our house. I answered the phone and immediately knew from her tone that something was very wrong. She said, "I called to wish you a happy birthday tomorrow." She then explained that Dad's blood tests had come back and they were very bad. "Doctors can't do anything for him," he said. They told her to "take him home and make him as comfortable as possible" during what they said would be the last few days or weeks of her life. She told us that Dad instructed her that the family should accept the Lord's will and that they should not fast and pray for the extension of her life.

As for the lecture, he reported that the doctors said he would be too weak to speak and that if he tried, he would probably faint in front of a national television audience and embarrass the entire Church. “However,” he said, “your father wants to give this speech. It means more to him than anything he's ever done in this life,” but he couldn't even finish reading to her. Every time I tried to do that, I started to cry.

After Mother's call, with Vivian's help, we reached out to each of our brothers and sisters to convey Mother's message and unite the family in a fast, which does not go against their desire to plead for an extension of time. his life, but that he might be given the strength and emotional control he needed to deliver the talk he had written.

During the day, Dad lay in bed, dressed, refusing to make the concession of staying in bed.

He also refused to eat in his room. As much as he felt bad, she went to the kitchen to try to eat.

Wednesday night, Brenda and I went to visit Mom and Dad. He had just returned from his meetings and was exhausted. While he napped, Mom insisted on making us some hamburgers. Dad came in and sat down at the table. This was especially kind of him because he had no appetite and the smell of food made him gag. He ate too, which pleased the Mother very much. Brenda gave him an odorless dietary supplement in pill form, sort of like an energy bar, but smaller. I could eat them because they were odorless. They may have been your main food supply for the next few days. I remember seeing him put one in his mouth just before he got up to speak at the conference.

On Saturday, the family was together. Mark and Mary Ann hail from Colorado, Mike and Becky from Iowa, and Stephen and Shauna from California. The rest of us, Brenda and I, Vivian and Carlos, Stanford and Kathy, Mary and Ben, Sara and Jerry, lived less than an hour's drive from Salt Lake City. Sara and Jerry, who had purchased the family home on Dorchester Drive, generously turned it into our headquarters.

In the morning session on Saturday, April 6, 1985, Dad gave his final address in a general conference of the Church. When he rose to speak, his face was gaunt and gaunt, his skin so yellow that many must have been tempted to adjust the color of their television sets, his step was that of a man many years older; yet he stood his ground and spoke as always with confidence and power. The family's prayer that he would have the strength and emotional control to deliver the speech was answered. The Spirit took over just as Dad had prayed, and one of the most powerful speeches ever given in the Tabernacle was delivered.

With a trembling voice, he concluded: “I am one of your witnesses, and the next day I will feel the prints of the nails in your hands and feet and I will wet your feet with my tears.

"But I shall not know better than I know now that he is the Almighty Son of God, that he is our Savior and Redeemer, and that salvation comes through his atoning blood and in no other way."5

On Sunday, April 14, Elder Packer visited and blessed Dad one last time. He said the promises made in the previous blessings were fulfilled in his conference address and that it was a miracle that we had them this year. In fact, Elder Packer indicated in the blessing that Dad's lifelong ministry was complete. Then the father turned to the mother and said, "Do you know what she said?" The mother told him that she would try to live to be an honor and a credit to him. Shout out.

Elder Packer visited the Mother and left. His instructions to the family were to submit to the will of the Lord. When Mom and Elder Packer left the room, Dad got up and, with what little strength he had left, undressed, covered himself with the sheets, and climbed into bed, signaling that the battle was over. After that he refused food, but sometimes drank some water.

Brenda and I went upstairs to see them. Mom was tired, and although she would have invited us upstairs, she probably would have preferred that we didn't. There was a constant parade of people that day. We visited Mum for a few minutes in the living room and then she said, "Joseph, you can come in and sit next to your dad if you like." I entered the room very quietly. I thought he was sleeping. He was lying on the other side of the bed with his back to me. I didn't want to wake him up; just being present. He said, "Hello, Jose." I replied: "Hello, dad." I then walked around the bed to approach him. He turned his back on me. I went back to the other side so I could face him. He asked me if I could scratch his back. I rubbed his back for about ten minutes. It felt like a special honor. My thoughts were with those who were privileged to anoint the broken body of the Savior. When I thought he was awake, I said to him, "Dad, I wanted to go upstairs to tell you that I love you." He didn't know how to answer. After I rubbed his back for a short while, he turned around and we talked. I said, "Do you remember Farrell Smith, who I served with in Vietnam?" He replied in the affirmative.

I told him that Farrell was a stake president in Arizona and that he was going to hold a stake priesthood meeting that night, where they would show the video of his speech and organize the meeting around it. I told him again that I thought his talk had affected more people than any other talk given in general conference. He said, as he had before, “I would like to do this talk even if it is the last thing I do!” I told him my kids wanted to come up and tell him they loved him but we were afraid it would wear him down. I said they were good boys, that I had brought Joseph Jr. with me as home teacher that day, that he had taught the class, that he was getting tall and handsome, and that he would be a great missionary. Dad said he knew they were good kids and was proud of them. He said, "Joseph, I love you."

Mom came into the room and when she saw that we were talking, she asked me to go find Brenda. I did like this. Brenda entered. A moment or two after she entered the room, Dad opened his eyes and saw her. He said to me: “Hello, Brenda”, with a special kindness and affection in the voice of someone who had received me. She said, “Dad, our kids wanted us to tell you how much they love you. Shanna felt bad that she didn't tell you about this when she was here last week." Dad said, "I know you do. I love them and I'm proud of them. You have a good family, Brenda. He then said, "We want to thank you for everything you've done for us.

He replied, "It was a privilege."

click to enlarge

Bruce R. McConkie, Apostle of the Lord.

At that point, the mother sat up and started rubbing the father's back again. She made some comments about having a son, a brother and a father waiting to see him. We said we would and said goodnight. Mom excused Dad and walked us to the door. I thanked him for letting us go, and he said we were welcome any time we wanted and we didn't have to call. We hugged and left.

In the following days, family and close friends came to say goodbye to the father. Each experience contained its own tenderness. However, the tone of the visit to her mother, Vivian Redd McConkie, was a little different. She visited her father to give him instructions. "When you see Dad," she said, referring to her father and his partner, from whom she had been separated for twenty years, "tell him my suitcase is packed and I'm waiting on the sidewalk." The grandmother, who had barely been sick a day in her life, was now 95, which isn't a big deal, especially when you consider that her mother, Lucinda Pace Redd, lived to be 104. However, Grandma McConkie was ready to attend. Grandpa and expected Dad to see to it that the matter was resolved. Three weeks and one day after Dad's death, she died herself.

Early on the morning of Friday, April 19, Elder Russell M. Nelson came to see my father. He took his mother into the living room and told her that his father would die that day. She was on her way to a multiregional conference in Boston that Dad had been assigned to. He was with President Ezra Taft Benson, who lived across the hall.

Calls were made and the family reunited. It was sometime after midday that everyone who might have been there arrived. We took chairs to dad's room for everyone. Mom suggested that we kneel down and pray. She asked me to be the voice. Stanford's wife, Kathy, who is a nurse, had just taken Dad's heartbeat and noted that it was strong and regular and would be the last to go. Mom, Kathy, and Dad's nurse bathed Dad, changed his clothes, and prepared everything he needed before this meeting.

Vivian described what followed: “We all knelt around the bed. Joseph prayed. He thanked the Lord for Dad's life and asked Him to consider Dad's condition and obedience and, if possible, release his spirit and call him home. Immediately after the phrase "call him home", the father's spirit left his body and left. The others noticed that he had stopped breathing. Joseph asked the Lord to allow Dad to be with us in Israel on the Mount of Beatitudes, where the first Twelve were ordained, if any."

In ten minutes, Dr. J. Poulson Hunter arrived. No one had called him. He just appeared. He called the morgue and took care of a few other things. Elder Packer called at about the same time. I had just returned from graduation exercises at Brigham Young University. It seemed strange how these things were happening. The Doctor. Hunter called President Hinckley. Around 2:30 pm, someone looked out the window and saw that the Church flag was at half mast.

That spring, at Dad's request, the family took the trip we had planned to the Holy Land. Brit and his wife, Beth, as well as Dad's secretary of many years, Velma Harvey, joined us. We spent some sacred moments together on the Mount of Beatitudes as per our appointment. In the Garden Tomb, outside the walls of the Old City of Jerusalem, we found a quiet spot and sat in a circle listening to a recording of Dad's last lecture. As we listened, a dove flew to the center of our group, where it remained until Dad's last amen.


What was the cause of death for Bruce R. McConkie? ›

McConkie served in the capacity of an apostle until he died of cancer at 69.

How old was Bruce R. McConkie when he died? ›

When was Bruce R. McConkie last talk? ›

McConkie delivered his final general conference address, "The Purifying Power of Gethsemane," in April 1985. In that very conference, his poem “I Believe in Christ” debuted as a new hymn, performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The music was composed by Tabernacle organist John Longhurst.

Is James W McConkie related to Bruce R. McConkie? ›

Elder Bruce R. McConkie of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles had a brother who at one point seemed more poised to become famous than the well-known Apostle. James W. McConkie was a composer who received his Ph.

Who is elder McConkie? ›

Elder James W. McConkie III was sustained as a General Authority Seventy of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on April 2, 2022, at age 50. At the time of his call, he had been serving as a stake president.

Who wrote Mormon doctrine? ›

Bruce R. McConkie is the author of notable works such as “Mormon Doctrine” and “I Believe in Christ.” The apostle's final testimony is considered one of the most powerful talks in the history of general conference.

What was Bruce R. McConkie's final testimony? ›

“All of the terms and conditions of the Father's eternal plan of salvation became operative,” he testified, “in and through Christ's atoning sacrifice.” Because He died, we have a plan of salvation! Because He died, our righteous deeds will rise with us in the Resurrection.

What is the condescension of God McConkie? ›

McConkie has stated that “The condescension of God (meaning the Father) consists in the fact that though He is an exalted, perfected, glorified Personage, He became the personal and literal Father of a mortal Offspring born of a mortal woman. …

What hymns did Bruce R. McConkie write? ›

Elder Bruce R. McConkie, a Mormon Apostle, wrote the poem “I Believe in Christ” which he recited in 1972 as part of his General Conference address. The poem is the basis for the beautiful Mormon hymn which bears the same title.

What kind of church is pursuit Church? ›

The Pursuit is a member of the Fellowship of Christian Assemblies, a non-denominational network of churches and ministers that connect for ministry, mission, and leadership opportunities.

Who are the general authorities of the LDS Church? ›

General Authority

The First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, the First and Second Quorums of the Seventy and the Presiding Bishopric are all known as General Authorities.

Who are James McConkie LDS parents? ›

Elder James Wilson McConkie III was born in Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, on August 27, 1971, to James Wilson McConkie II and Judith Miller McConkie.

How many children does elder Stevenson have? ›

He co-founded an exercise equipment manufacturing company, ICON Health & Fitness, Inc., where he served as president and COO. He was also involved in numerous civic activities and has served on various boards and advisory councils. Elder and Sister Stevenson have four sons.

Who is the oldest living LDS apostle? ›

Russell M. Nelson was born on September 9, 1924, in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Floss Edna (née Anderson; 1893–1983) and Marion Clavar Nelson (1897–1990).

What is the oldest LDS temple in the world? ›

The St. George Temple is the oldest temple still actively used by the church. The temple currently has three ordinance rooms and 18 sealing rooms, and a total floor area of 110,000 square feet (10,200 m2).

What does elder mean in LDS Church? ›

Overview. Elder is an office of the Melchizedek Priesthood. It is also used as a title for male missionaries or General Authorities of the Church. Elders have authority to bestow the gift of the Holy Ghost by the laying on of hands and to give priesthood blessings.

Why is the Book of Mormon very controversial? ›

While extolling the musical for its originality, most reviewers also make reference to the play's over-the-top blasphemous and offensive language. Dealing with parody and satire is always a tricky thing for churches. We can easily appear thin-skinned or defensive, and churches sometimes are.

Is the Book of Mormon a true history? ›

Views on historical authenticity. Mainstream archaeological, historical, and scientific communities do not consider the Book of Mormon an ancient record of actual historical events.

Who was the last prophet to write in the Book of Mormon? ›

Moroni, the final prophetic writer in the Book of Mormon, was the son of the great prophet/historian Mormon. We do not know the exact date of Moroni's birth, but his mortal life bridged the end of the fourth and beginning of the fifth centuries following the birth of Christ.

What does condescension of Jesus mean? ›

The condescension of the Lord Jesus Christ generally refers to His leaving His high and holy station in heaven and coming to live as a man on earth to accomplish the Atonement and Resurrection.

What is the biblical meaning of condescension? ›

The condescension of God (meaning the Son) consists in the fact that though he himself is the Lord Omnipotent, the very Being who created the earth and all things in it are, yet being born of a mortal woman, he submitted to all the trials of mortality . . .

What does the Bible say about condescension? ›

“And he said unto me: Knowest thou the condescension of God? “And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things” (1 Ne. 11:14, 16–17). With Nephi's somewhat vague response, the angel began to teach him about the condescension of God.

What is the oldest hymn in the LDS hymn book? ›

Hymn number one in this hymnal, "The Spirit of God", may be the very first LDS hymn ever published with musical notation.

Who wrote Holy Spirit worship song? ›

Francesca Battistelli – “Holy Spirit” (Behind The Song)

Who wrote the oldest surviving hymn? ›

World's oldest surviving melody was composed by Armenian ancestors 3400 years ago. The 3400 year old hymn, is the oldest known fragment of noted music so far discovered in history. It was created by an anonymous Hurrian artist in 1400 BC. and dedicated to the goddess of orchards.

What does pursuit church believe? ›

We believe the Gospel is meant to be demonstrated both internally and externally. The Gospel has the ability to transcend race, color, age and ethnicity. With that in mind, we believe in living an “outward focused” life bringing the Gospel of good news to all people and in all places at all times.

What is the biggest church in Columbus Ohio? ›

World Harvest Church - Wikipedia.

What is the church of Justin Bieber? ›

The singer has a years-long history with Hillsong Church, and has been seen attending services throughout his Journals and Purpose eras.

Have any LDS apostles been excommunicated? ›

Richard Roswell Lyman (November 23, 1870 – December 31, 1963) was an American engineer and religious leader who was an apostle in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) from 1918 to 1943. Lyman is often noted as the most recent LDS Church apostle to have been excommunicated.

How much do LDS General Authorities get paid? ›

In accordance with approved procedures, the annual General Authority base living allowance has been increased from $116,400 to $120,000.

What is a LDS pastor called? ›

A bishop is the leader of a local congregation (known as a ward) with duties similar to those of a pastor, priest or rabbi. In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, this position is unpaid. Each bishop is assisted by two counselors.

Is LDS Living owned by the Church? ›

LDS Living Magazine is an independent work, and is not an official publication of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Who is the youngest apostle LDS? ›

John Willard Young (October 1, 1844 – February 12, 1924) was a leader in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church).
John Willard Young
End reasonCalled as Assistant Counselor in the First Presidency
LDS Church Apostle
November 22, 1855 – February 12, 1924
Called byBrigham Young
37 more rows

Who owns the LDS Church? ›

The Deseret Management Corporation (DMC) (/ˌdɛzəˈrɛt/ ( listen)) is a global operating company, managing for-profit entities affiliated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It was established in 1966 by church president David O. McKay to hold already-existing church assets.


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Moshe Kshlerin

Last Updated: 10/12/2023

Views: 5853

Rating: 4.7 / 5 (57 voted)

Reviews: 88% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Moshe Kshlerin

Birthday: 1994-01-25

Address: Suite 609 315 Lupita Unions, Ronnieburgh, MI 62697

Phone: +2424755286529

Job: District Education Designer

Hobby: Yoga, Gunsmithing, Singing, 3D printing, Nordic skating, Soapmaking, Juggling

Introduction: My name is Moshe Kshlerin, I am a gleaming, attractive, outstanding, pleasant, delightful, outstanding, famous person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.